Friday, May 24, 2019

Crusty Bread




Crusty Bread

3 C. flour (bread flour works great too)

1 3/4 tsp. salt (I do 1 1/2 tsp.)

1/2 tsp. yeast

1 1/2 C. lukewarm water (I use a bit more)


Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.  Add in water & mix (the dough will be sticky).  Cover with plastic wrap & let it sit on the counter or in the oven for at least 8 hours (I like to do mine the night before, so around 18 hours).  When ready to cook, heat the oven to 450 degrees.  Place an enameled cast iron dutch oven with the lid in the oven for 30 minutes.  While the pan is heating, dump the dough onto a floured surface (I like to use floured parchment paper) and let it sit for 30 minutes.  Then, put the dough (it will be sticky, but don't knead it) into the hot pan (don't spray the pan) and cover with lid.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Remove the lid and cook for another 15 minutes.  Let sit for about 15 minutes or so before cutting.


*I like to do a 1 1/2 batch  :)  It fits great in my 5.5 qt pot.  I cook it for 32 minutes with the lid and then 15 after removing the lid.


4 1/2 C. flour (bread flour works great too)

2 1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 + 1/4 tsp. yeast

2 1/4 C. water (I use a bit more)


recipe from Haley

No comments: