Thursday, July 21, 2011

Tinga


This is one of my favorite meals! My brother Robert learned how to make these on his mission in Mexico City, so they are definitely authentic & SO SO GOOD! This was actually my first time making them (Robert always made them) and we will be having them again soon--a favorite for both Danny & I :)






This is what the chicken mixture looks like when it's all done. It doesn't look very appetizing, I know, but it's good, I promise!







These are the chipotle peppers I got. I only used 1/3 of the can, so I put the rest in 2 separate baggies in the freezer (each with some of the sauce too) to use for later.






The tostadas I used. I had a hard time finding some--Giant Eagle didn't have them, so I actually found these at Walmart, but I know that Winco in Idaho Falls carries them (they come already toasted in a big bag).




Tinga


3 large chicken breasts, boiled & shredded (save the broth from boiling the chicken)

1 onion, chopped

5-8 plum/Roma tomatoes (depends on how big your tomatoes are, I used 7)

1-4 chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce (depends how spicy you want it--I used 2 peppers, but I will do 3 next time)

salt (to taste)

tostadas (the kind I bought needed to be toasted in the oven for a few minutes, but some come already toasted).

toppings (sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole, etc.)




Boil chicken (I just put mine straight from the freezer into a pot of water & cooked it for about 15 minutes once it started boiling). Save the broth & then shred the chicken. Sauté onions in a little bit of butter or oil (needs to be a fairly deep pan because it'll have all the sauce and then the chicken in it).

In the blender, put a bunch of tomatoes (I used 7 & it pretty much fills up the blender). Also add a couple chipotle peppers into the blender (depending on how hot you want it, 1 or 2 is not too spicy, add a couple more if you want a bit more of a kick). Also add some of the sauce from the can, not just the peppers. Pour some of the chicken broth from the boiled chicken (I used about 3/4 C.) into the blender and blend it all up. Don't put too much broth in or it'll take a while to boil down to where it's not so runny. Pour the tomato mixture into the pan with the onions and mix it around. Add some salt to taste.

Heat mixture to a boil and then add the shredded chicken and heat to a simmer. (Make sure you taste it because you can always blend up some extra tomatoes & add in if it's too spicy. Or you can blend up & add some extra chipotle peppers if it's not spicy enough). Let it simmer for a while so the chicken will soak up the flavor (and to boil off some of the broth if it's too runny).




Serve with tostadas with sour cream and desired toppings (we like just lettuce).



It works best to take your tostada & spread a thin layer of sour cream over it & then put on the chicken & then top with the lettuce & other toppings. Make sure you have lots of napkins handy, because they can be pretty messy to eat! You can always break-up your tostada into a bowl & then add everything on top & eat with a fork, but I think it's best the messy way :)








Recipe from Berto :)

No comments: