Friday, February 8, 2013

Hearty Minestrone Soup


This was yummy & very easy.  Crockpot recipes are the best!



Hearty Minestrone Soup


1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained

1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained

2 C. water

2 medium carrots, sliced (I used 4 carrots)

1 medium onion, chopped (I used 1 1/2 tsp. onion powder instead)

1 medium zucchini, chopped (I used 2 C. shredded instead)

1 pkg. (3 1/2 oz.) sliced pepperoni (I didn't use quite that much & I cut it up & used turkey pepperoni)

2 tsp. minced garlic (I used 3-4 tsp.)

2 tsp. chicken bouillon

1/2 tsp. basil

1/2 tsp. oregano

2 (16 oz.) cans kidney beans, rinsed & drained (I used 1 can of light & 1 can of dark)

1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed & squeezed dry (next time I think I will do a little less spinach)

1 1/4 C. cooked elbow macaroni (1/2 C. + 1/8 C. dry macaroni & I used whole wheat)

shredded Parmesan cheese (I didn't use this)

1-2 tsp. garlic powder (recipe didn't call for this, but I added some)




Combine the first 10 ingredients in a large crockpot.  Cover & cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.  Stir in the beans, spinach, & macaroni.  Cover & cook 15 minutes or until heated through.  Sprinkle with cheese if desired.



Yield: 7 servings (2 3/4 quarts).

Nutrition Facts: 1 1/2 C. (calculated without cheese) equals 276 calories, 7 g. fat (3 g. saturated fat), 12 mg. cholesterol, 974 mg. sodium, 41 g. carbohydrate, 12 g. fiber, 15 g. protein.




recipe from Bonnie Hosman on Taste of Home website


No comments: