Monday, April 5, 2021

Carrie's Rolls

These rolls are so so good!  A must try!

Carrie's Rolls

1 C. butter

2/3 C. corn meal

1 C. sugar

2 tsp. salt

4 C. milk (I like to use 2 C. water and 2 C. evaporated milk--1 large can and 1 small can)

2 Tbsp. yeast

2 tsp. sugar

1/2 C. warm water

4 eggs

8 C. flour


Combine butter, cornmeal, 1 C. sugar, salt and milk in a medium saucepan.  Cook over medium heat until it thickens (about 10 minutes).  Remove from heat and let cool.  Combine yeast, 2 tsp. sugar and warm water in a bowl.  Let yeast dissolve and rise (takes about 10 minutes).  Combine cornmeal mixture, yeast mixture and eggs.  Stir in flour.  Cover and let rise for about 45 minutes (time could be less depending on the temperature of your kitchen).  Form into rolls (the dough is quite sticky, so I spray my hands to help with that) and place on a greased jelly roll pan.  I usually have extra rolls, so I also use an 8x8 pan.  Cover rolls and let raise for 20 minutes.  Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes.  Butter the tops of the rolls after they come out of the oven.  Makes 4-5 dozen rolls.


recipe from Carrie

No comments: