Saturday, October 24, 2009

Chicken Noodle Soup & Homemade Noodles


This is so yummy to have on a cold day! We like to have corn bread with it!





Chicken Noodle Soup



6 C. cold water (I like to use 5 C. of water & add a can of chicken stock)

2 chicken breast halves (large--I just use frozen boneless, skinless)

3 chopped carrots (I do way more than this)

3 stalks celery chopped (I do way more than this too)

1 small onion chopped

2 tsp. salt

3 tsp. chicken bouillon

pinch of garlic salt

pinch of pepper

1/2 C. barley (this wasn't in the recipe, but I like to add it)

1 bay leaf (optional)




Combine all ingredients in stockpot. Bring to a boil & reduce to a simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes (I always make the noodles while I'm waiting). Use a slotted spoon & transfer chicken to a cutting board and cool slightly. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Return chicken & homemade noodles to soup & simmer 10 minutes.




Homemade Noodles


3/4 C. flour (I use whole-wheat & they're really good)

2 eggs




In a bowl, beat eggs until frothy with an electric mixer (I always just use a fork). Slowly add flour and mix well. Knead with hands (I always need extra flour because it's quite sticky). Roll out very thin on a floured cutting board & cut into 1/4 inch strips (I like to use a pizza wheel). Use immediately or dry and store in an airtight container.







Recipe from Introductory Foods: HFED 110 by Carma Sutherland (BYU-Idaho)

No comments: